|Project by doubleDD||posted 12-06-2016 01:53 PM||2235 views||12 times favorited||36 comments|
Here’s a project I never thought would be. A very big thanks to LJ Jim Jakosh for giving me his jig for picking up the holes on the flywheel made this possible. I was always very interested in this since he made a metal one for his lathe. So after a dozen questions he suggested that I could make one out of wood.
It works great, looks good, and I didn’t have to do any alterations to the lathe. Going from 24 pickup holes to 72 really broadens the field for different projects. I made it to fit the existing screws that are in the back of the lathe housing. I could install it in a few minutes and remove it after I do a project with it or keep it on like it has been for a week. I gave it a quick test by making a small turned box and drilling 24 holes to see how accurate it is. It was a success. I did notice that 2 of the 72 holes I drilled for the index wheel are off a hair. A slight giggle with the pin and it goes right in. I used Maple for everything except the knobs, those were walnut, and a piece of angle aluminum to hold the pickup pin. Coated it with some lacquer. Total cost for the project was $1.80. I needed 2 metric screws to hold Jim’s jig on the lathe while setting the holes and 2 metric screws to install the locking pickup pin on the lathe. Feel free to ask any questions or PM me and I will be as helpful as I can.
Thanks for looking.
Below I will give a quick rundown on some of the steps with more pictures.
I don’t know how many different lathes this would be possible on but it is worth a look if you are interested in improving the indexing.
-- Dave, Downers Grove, Il. -------- When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams.