|Project by bobkberg||posted 02-16-2010 01:29 AM||1969 views||2 times favorited||7 comments|
Ok, for all of you tired of OSB, this one is (mostly) real wood. This is the cabinet in the front room of our house. It’s made of Ash, and Ash veneer over MDF. The stain is a custom mix of Raw Sienna, Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, Linseed Oil and paint thinner. It was first mixed up to match the woodwork in the existing house by Sean Anthony of Gilroy, CA who is a wizard at matching colors. I’ve since mixed up and applied 5-10 gallons of the stuff over the last 20+ years. the stain was originally developed to have any new softwood trim (pine, fir, spruce) match the existing woodwork in the house. We liked it so well, that we decided to do our cabinets with that as well. So I tried that stain on oak – YUCKY!!!! After some experimenting/testing, we found that Ash took the stain very nicely. The other thing with the stain, which isn’t obvious at first is that because it’s linseed oil based, I could coat the hinges with it, and bake on the finish, so that the hinges are almost invisible to view. See the 2nd and 3rd pictures. And yes – it did stink up the house when I did that. I’ve since learned to let it dry in the shop, and only when it’s not stinky any more, to put it in the oven for “curing”.
My wife and I wanted a nice display piece for the front room, but for 10 years, neither of us agreed with anything the other suggested. Then one day, my wife showed me a photo in a magazine – and I agreed that it looked nice. So then, it was life-size cardboard model time – No pictures of that process though. We glued, and sliced and diced back and forth, – and finally we agreed that we liked the bottom part – so I built that. Then we re-designed the top part several more times in cardboard until we were happy. That took about a year. Then it was another 2 years to get everything finished up. Since our original house was a 1920’s craftsman bungalow, everything we’ve done to has been intended to keep the look fairly consistent.
The latticework on each of the doors is 1/4” thick by 3/4” wide Ash, using half-lap joinery, including routing cutouts into the inside of the frames. the doorframes themselves are biscuit-joined 3/4” x 2 1/2” ash, rabbetted. One feature I added (last photo) was to build the double-door frames so that there was no visiibility through the crack inbetween the doors.
The arch over the center area where the mirror is, is roughly a 32 foot radius arc, both on the front side, and on the top piece of the mirror frame.
The next-to-last photo shows the lights inside the cabinet. I used plastic rope-light, hidden behind the face frame to light the insides of the cabinets. We thought it would add a dramatic touch. It does, but we never use it – we’d rather not stumble around in the dark.
The drawer fronts are glued up panels of Ash, and finished with a combination of the table saw and router. The actual drawers themselves are made of white melamine finished particle board for a nice clean appearance inside, and mounted on full extension slides.
-- Bob www.singularengineering.com - A sideline, not how I earn a living