|Project by Jeremymcon||posted 11-30-2016 01:49 PM||374 views||0 times favorited||4 comments|
This footstool represents my first foray into angled mortise and tenon joinery! I recently purchased a chair for my wife, but it isn’t a reclining chair, so she commissioned a foot stool to prop her feet up on.
I’m still working primarily by hand, so the mortises were chiseled by hand 90 degrees to the face of the legs, then I cut angled tenon shoulders with a back saw, and trimmed the tenons at an angle to match up with the 90 degree mortises. I decided to only splay the legs in the one direction in order not to overwhelm myself with the angles.
The spindles were shaped with a draw knife and spokeshave (I don’t own a lathe yet), holes for them drilled with a bit and brace, with a square or angle gauge resting on the leg for reference. I found that I actually prefer the bit and brace for the angles holes over my drill press – less fussing and setup time.
I saddled the seat with a scrub plane, followed by a spokeshave, cabinet scraper, and a random orbital sander.
I also did sort of an experimental finish for me – I purchased some shellac flakes and made up a fairly weak cut of shellac. There seem to be lots of differing opinions about how best to apply shellac, but I found that what worked for me was to rub it on with a rag, not worrying too much about smoothness of the finish until I built up a decent layer – 3 coats, in my case. Then I buffed it all with fine steel wool, and ended up with a nice mild sheen, and smooth feeling surface. We will see how it holds up! One thing I like about shellac is how forgiving it is – I really wasn’t careful with it at all, but it still came out great. And I figure if it ever starts to look bad, I can always just add another coat to freshen it up. Can’t do that with polyurethane!