|Project by Luke||posted 02-15-2010 03:54 AM||6344 views||10 times favorited||15 comments|
Me and a buddy decided to make a pair of these rockers together. We found the plans online somewhere, I can’t remember now but some basic searching on google pulled it up. A lot of the details in the plan were sketchy so I’d call this a new plan at this point. Lot’s of missing and even some incorrect measurements in the plan that caused a few problems but we worked them out. It took almost 6 months all together but we weren’t able to get much time to actually do the work. It was a very rewarding project and quite challenging. The bent laminations were a bit of a challenge but turned out not to be as difficult as I was thinking. It is made of red oak and stained with minwax red oak stain, then finished off with arm-r-seal semi-gloss. The finish is amazing as I’ve only used arm-r-seal satin so far and this really turned out nice, it’s just so easy to apply. The rockers glide very smooth and it is very comfortable. I went to a thrift store and got an old brown suede leather jacket for $6 bucks and cut the back out strategically to get the seat cover. I picked up some 4” Foam from the hobby store and cut it to fit a 3/4” ply bottom then upholstered the seat. Thanks for looking!
-- LAS, http://www.abettersign.com