|Project by Hacksaw007||posted 02-14-2010 04:32 AM||1630 views||2 times favorited||12 comments|
Been studing many of the Lumber Jocks work in this area and finally had some time to make a few. The Red and Black one was my first attempt. It looked good, but wasn’t hollowed out very well and was heavy. Got a drill chuck for my new lathe today and drilled out the blue one, top and bottom, so the hollowing out work was much less work and much easier to measure out. Made a scrap jig to hold my cap and bottom when the bottom needed shaped and sanded. This worked good. The top cap is made out of scrap oak from a crating skid, and is 1 inch tall. The bottoms are made out of laminated birch stocks that we use to make rifle stocks from, again, from scrap wood. All the wood is scrap and free. Walnut perch, and yes from scrap wood. The blue one is not yet finished, the red and black one is finished. 2 coats of conversion varnish, the oak cap I stained dark. These are fun, and I thank all of you that I read your stories about how to make them. And O yes, I used a Wagner texturing tool for the first time and I like that also. It was easy and on this hard oak it will look better on softer woods like walnut and such. I had a Red, White and Blue made up, but as I was making the oak top, I got greedy and took too much off and the top caved in. I had to laugh, I knew that I was close. Thanks for looking!
-- For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16