|Project by Tim Christensen||posted 11-23-2016 03:08 PM||1360 views||4 times favorited||9 comments|
We recently purchased a new kitchen table and my wife wanted a farm bench to go with it. I am very lucky to have a great uncle that had some walnut from my great grandparents farm stored in the back of his shed. The last picture is what it looked like when I got it home.
This is my first attempt at hand cut dove tails and I decided to make the jig pictured to help! I embedded magnets in it to help hold the saw close to the jig. It worked great. I wanted to challenge myself and not use any screws or nails, and I am pretty proud with how it turned out.
Also my first attempt at bow tie splines. It had a few checks to deal with and I decided to go with birdseye maple for those to give a little contrast. My wife wasn’t a big fan of those, but you can’t please everyone!
I went with danish oil for the finish which was also a first. I really like the feel and color of the finish, but I wished it had a little more shine. I am a beekeeper so I am thinking about making a beeswax/mineral oil polish and see what that does. I kind of want to stay away from poly just because I want something different!
Thanks for looking!
-- Tim C., Sgt. Bluff, Iowa.