|Project by Leroy5||posted 02-12-2010 03:07 AM||1757 views||4 times favorited||13 comments|
Edited – Sorry I did not give enough info for some of you. The table is made almost entirely of salvaged flooring (both pre- and post-consumer). Before installing flooring in my living room & dining room, I built this demonstrator panel. The field of the floor is white oak and the border is brazillian cherry (jatoba) and maple. After installing the floor, I turned the panel into a coffee table top. My brother calls it my “stealth table” since it blends in so well. Since it is my grandson’s favorite toy, he makes sure it is always visible. He especially likes the “road” on the edge. On a panel like this, expansion is always a problem. Under the photos of the carcass, you can see the seasonal cracks in the floor. We do not have a humidifier on our furnace. If you value your wood floors, furniture, and trim, you should humidify your house in the winter, maintaining a year-round relative humidity of as close to 50% as your windows will allow. The oak is edge-glued together with carpenter’s exterior wood glue as a solid panel and the border is edge-glued as a solid panel as well. The two are joined by a blind tongue and groove, edge-glued with flexible subfloor adhesive, and are both glued with carpenter’s exterior wood glue to a piece of 1/2” plywood underneath. That was fine for use as a demonstrator panel for a week or so, but of course, it curled up when the humidity changed. To solve that, I took a circular saw and just barely cut through the plywood in lines in the center of each board of the field. Presto, a flat table top again with the original strength to hold the border in place. There is about 1/16” gap between the plywood and the cross-pieces and tops of the legs to provide emergency support if it is severely stressed (heavy people standing on it and dancing – which it holds up to!). It is a very sturdy construction which still allows for seasonal expansion. The top is held in place with slotted metal fasteners bent to orient 90 degrees to the the boards in the field on top. No stain was used and it was finished with Zinsser Universal Sealer and 2 coats of Basic Coatings Streetshoe satin finish.