|Project by ilyac||posted 11-20-2016 11:23 PM||1581 views||12 times favorited||10 comments|
This was the first of many project in which I get rid of all the only junk funiture around the place. The first on the chopping block is set of Ikea nightstands.
The design is a 3 drawer, cherry nightstand, with a divided side panel, and arched bottom rails. I decided to do flush drawers as I like this cleaner look. I also divided the side panels rather than keeping them solid to just break them up a little visually and add more vertical elements to prevent them from looking ‘squat’. I chose hardwood drawer slides for 2 reasons, one is that I do really like the look of them, but almost more importantly, a scrap of maple is cheaper than metal slides. I used shallac to apply a seal coat and stained over the cherry, with a wipe on poly to protect.
For the detailed rundown, check out my blog posts
This project was a LOT of firsts for me, and I learned even more. Each thing I tried, in invariably wish I had done better, but here’s a short list of things I leaned along the way.
1. First mortise and tenon joinery
I wanted to try my hand at traditional motise and tenon joints for the frame of this. I cut the tenons on the table saw with a dado stack, and the motises with a plunge router. I should have kept the joints less snug and further away from the end of the legs, as I got some splitting through successive dry fits.
2. First time lamination to create tops and side panels
Overall this went well, however one of the issues I ran into was just grain matching and color matching. There are a few of the panels that I moved towards the back of the stands that were not as well matched as others, and after stain the color matching improved significatly.
3. First time making and hanging drawers
For the drawers I used a Whiteside drawer lock bit, however overall my alignement jig for the router table needed some serious work. In the end a few of the drawers ended up being pretty hard to get nicely square, but after some fussing around it all fit well. I had similar issues with routing the drawer slide channels, and hanging the maple drawer slides. Lesson learned from this is to spend more time on jigs up front to same lots of time later on.
4. First time working with shellac
Most of the issues I ran into came from the pure and simple fact that I needed to create and run through test pieces through the full finishing process. Also, pre-finishing would have saved me a world of effort. Pre-finishing is something I never even considered until it was FAR too late.