LumberJocks

Recycled Pickle Barrel White Cedar Kitchen, Mantles and Vanity, St. Michaels MD

  • Advertise with us
Project by Moffett77 posted 02-11-2010 01:43 AM 3931 views 4 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch

This project was for the Wickersham House in St. Michaels Maryland. The wood was given to us by McMartin and Beggins Furniture makers of Wittman MD, famous for their desk made from the Wye Oak for the Maryland Governors Mansion.

It was in fairly rough condition and was very difficult to work with but the end result was beautiful. During Finishing we had some difficulty because the salts used in the pickle making process were still in the wood and this caused it to draw in moisture from the air. After milling or sanding on a humid day the wood would become damp to the touch in spots.

-- Moffett, Sacramento CA





7 comments so far

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

13345 posts in 2369 days


#1 posted 02-11-2010 02:05 AM

Nice work!

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View lotsaglue's profile

lotsaglue

27 posts in 1765 days


#2 posted 02-11-2010 02:16 AM

Wow…..very nice work! That wine cubby in the corner looks to be a different tone. Was it from the same wood or is just the lighting?

-- Karl

View a1Jim's profile

a1Jim

112366 posts in 2273 days


#3 posted 02-11-2010 02:43 AM

Did it smell like pickes when you were done? All the projects are top notch well done.

-- http://artisticwoodstudio.com Custom furniture

View ND2ELK's profile

ND2ELK

13495 posts in 2470 days


#4 posted 02-11-2010 04:19 AM

Nice work.

-- Mc Bridge Cabinets, Iowa

View RexMcKinnon's profile

RexMcKinnon

2593 posts in 1891 days


#5 posted 02-11-2010 08:16 PM

Beautiful kitchen.

-- If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail!

View Moffett77's profile

Moffett77

32 posts in 1723 days


#6 posted 02-11-2010 08:20 PM

Yes we built this in the winter of 06. The doors and face frames were assembled using west system because the wood glue was not bonding well. The stock we had was limited to widths no wider than 6” so we had to glue up he panels before running them through the shaper. The finish was arduous because some pieces took the finish better than others. In the end I found the best way to get pieces that were give me trouble was to spray a thin but uniform coat of denatured alcohol on before the sealer coat.

-- Moffett, Sacramento CA

View Dustin's profile

Dustin

389 posts in 2146 days


#7 posted 02-16-2010 01:05 AM

Absolutely fantastic work. Downright awesome.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase