|Project by CoyoteCreek_WoodShop||posted 11-18-2016 03:40 AM||1077 views||3 times favorited||8 comments|
Well I joined LUMBERjocks about a year ago, then I tried to make a project.
Last year my project was to build my workshop, it takes me along time since I work full time
I selected a Backgammon board, because I like the game.
Since I had no plan or board of this size 30.5 by 22 inches the first project was to draw a set of plans
Well since I have no experience with woodworking this was a challenge and it took what seemed like forever as there is quite a bit of detail.
Then I had to learn how to make a series of jigs which was another project which was unexpected. the first one was to reinforce the corners of the box and if you look carefully they are not perfect, but no way to correct them.
Build the basic box which contains the playing field and room to house the pieces and dice cups which I purchased from a backgammon supply and dice supply company.
Then I had to learn how to make a jig to cut “The Points” these are cut from white maple and Brazilian Rosewood
and a jig to cut the larger piece which fits between and stretches across the entire playing field.
Next I had to make the storage for dice cups, doubling cube and playing pieces. I had to make these more than once because I did not leave enough space assuming that measuring one piece and multiplying the dimension by the number pf pieces would work, learned that you must stack the pieces and measure all at once then add a little extra space.
Frankly I am surprised I was able to assemble this with my experience level.
I also attempted to do a veneer overlay with Coy fish and I was able to make a pretty nice job after several months of work with a razor-blade/ exacto knife and sand paper. I then attempted to glue it to the top and wanted to be sure it was perfectly flat so I placed approximate 50 pounds on plywood with project underneath hoping that when I removed it it would be ready to sand flat. Boy was I wrong, it was all warped and I am lucky I was able to remove it without messing up the outside. I did not even try again because it took so much time to make in the first place.
Finally I got to the finishing
and I thought I had reached the downhill side of the project boy was I wrong again…
I spent the next several months attempting to French Polish with shellac and learned how hard it was to do this
huh… I finally gave up and stripped it all off and finished it with Varathane, not what I wanted but by now 10 months have passed.
I suppose it is like making any prototype the second one would be much easier.
One interesting detail you may not be able to see, is that the storage compartment for playing pieces fit together, but not at the same level as the rest of the board, one side protrudes down about a 1/4 inch to add strength and not put so much stress on the tiny barrel hinges, again this was difficult to get the 2 sides to fit together.
Well It is finally ready to play, and I learned alot :)
Ned to take a finishing class and also learn to make the table saw less dangerous ” kickback” was not something I want to learn about the hard way.