|Project by AZWoody||posted 11-16-2016 01:57 AM||1280 views||2 times favorited||9 comments|
This has been a project in the works over the past year. I had it completed all except the finish in the summer but the temperatures were too high to get a decent finish with varnish. I had too fast drying times. So now that it’s cooled down, I finished it up and ready to set up for my office.
The legs and front to back stretchers are eucalyptus and the top and main stretcher are Cottonwood.
The cottonwood was from a 10’ wide tree that blew over during a microburst. I was able to salvage many of the largest branches. This piece was very punky in the middle so but I was able to find a piece that had good stability and would not break in half.
The cottonwood stretcher is actually the next cut on the sawmill but it broke in half so it matches up perfectly.
To fit a piece of glass, I first free hand routed a channel that the glass would fit in and then took the top to a glass shop and they cut a piece that fit the top. They did a pretty good job and edge sanded it so I don’t cut myself up while putting the thing in.
The top is attached with 8 figure 8 table top fasteners. I used 4 on each side just in case there were any weak spots in the wood that I could not detect, the others will keep it secure.
I also used some dyed epoxy on some of the edges where there was a possibility of breaking to help keep it together.
The finish was a shellac coat to help pop the grain followed by a couple coats of lacquer. The quilting and spalting in the top really stand out and the contrast between the eucalyptus and the cottonwood I think really went well.