|Project by Requiem||posted 02-08-2010 03:01 PM||1683 views||3 times favorited||5 comments|
As promised I have posted and completed my first project and a very exciting one for me. I collected some floorboards from a job site I was working on and I scored myself heaps of off cuts that they were going to throw away after they finished the floor laying. I took them home and sorted them out from good pieces of timber that were clear of defects and one pile of defected ones like the picture below.
I thought I would use my defected pile to start with first as this was my first project and after all my boss asked for two storage boxes that she needed to store her jars and considering what look she wanted to achieve with the timber I thought that the defect pile might be ok.
She had drawn a sketch of what she wanted me to make it started with the longer pieces to be thin and the smaller side pieces to be thick. At the end it was all thin pieces which I agree looked much better. The pieces that connect the top part and bottom part was meant to be on the outside but look much better in the inside.
After I cut off the tongue and the groove parts off the floorboards I was left with a very sexy piece I thought but it was too thick so I sliced it into half with my almighty table saw.
I learned that a sketch is just a sketch and it is a starting point of what you like to end up with but it is not always set in stone, and this is a good example of what was first drawn to what we ended up with. I think it actually evolved into a greater piece of work as you can see what works and what doesn’t. Drawing was a general guide and sets the dimensions that were required and overall look and the rest was decided on throughout the building stage.
In the end the boss decided to paint the box cover up the beautiful timber which I thought was a shame but the boss is the boss. We also added nails not for strength but for that rough retro…ish look.
The whole box was glued together which in the end I found it quite amazing of the strength the actual glue is much stronger than the timber itself.