|Project by GeBeWubya||posted 11-05-2016 11:22 PM||411 views||2 times favorited||1 comment|
It’s been a while since I posted a project, mostly because it’s been a while since I completed a project worth posting.
Here’s one I don’t mind showing. I needed bookshelves in the shop for all the woodworking books and DVDs I’ve accumulated. I wanted something somewhat portable, so if necessary I could move it without having to box up all the books.
I remembered Roy Underhill once showed a build of a modular bookcase that could be unstacked and each shelf transported individually. I recall he used sliding dovetails so the modules could go together without glue and be broken down to a flat pack as well.
I am not quite that bold. My modules have the shelves and backs dadoed and glued into the sides. The top and bottom edges of the sides are rabbeted so they would not slide side to side when stacked.
The backs, tops, and bottoms are not closed to reduce the weight, so a sort of French cleat registers the back edges and stiffens the modules to prevent them from racking so easily.
Eventually, I figured out the cleats could be notched into the sides and didn’t need to poke out the back.
The bottom module was sized to hold the Lost Arts Press Book of Plates from Roubo’s L’Art du Menuisier and “coffee table” sized books. The top module is for all the Roy Underhill DVDs. The other modules will hold books and magazines of the usual sizes.
Lowe’s had 16” and 12” glued up pine panels I used for the bottom module. The sides of the second module also came from the 12” panel. The rest of the modules came from a 1×12, a 1×10, a 1×8, and a 1×6 of clear pine.
The glued up panels were not as nice a grain as the clear pine, so I finished with milk paint rather than a oil finish. I sent friends and family a picture of the completed stack before I applied any finish. Two of them responded “Beautiful,” but I knew a coat of paint would fix that. ;-)
Now I have room for lots more of Roy Underhill’s DVDs and Chris Schwarz’s Lost Arts Press books.
(NOTE: To simplify assembly, I turned the room sideways and stacked the modules horizontally, then turned the room back when I was done.)
(OK, you caught me. I just can’t figure out how to display the pictures in portrait orientation!)
-- (- |: \,/