|Project by unisaw2||posted 02-05-2010 01:41 AM||2016 views||2 times favorited||7 comments|
These are roof copulas that were attached directly to the roof shingles (no flashing) Although they were not that old, the bottom were rotten, and not paintable. During a reroofing project, we took 3 of these down and rebuilt them. Project included new plywood bases, new plywood roof sheathing, then repainting the louvers, and all wood inside and out. In the shop we bent white aluminum sheet stock for the bases, and made new copper roofs, with larger overhangs.
To install we screwed the base to solid cleats, installed proper baby tins on every shingle. Lastly we installed the white aluminum over the base, and baby tins.
This is a high windy spot, directly exposed to serious Midwest weather, this new rebuild should hold up well.
Need to learn how to bend a standing seam copper roof. This one should hold, but it relies on copper nails and solar seal caulk. Oh well, maybe the next time.
Not sure if the is the right place to post this (lumberjocks) but I’m still getting familiar with the website….