|Project by Dodeka||posted 02-04-2010 02:02 AM||22509 views||53 times favorited||18 comments|
This is my first Lumberjocks post and my first real woodworking project in my own shop. I know there are a bunch of drill press table projects out there already, but here’s my spin on it.
I started out with two sheets of 3/4” birch plywood glued and screwed. The poplar trim is also glued and screwed with counterbored holes. I trimmed everything up with a flush-cutting router bit and filled the counterbores with oak plugs I made. There a region of the bottom that is routed down about 1/4”. This makes it easy to align the auxiliary table to the drill press. There’s also a region on top routed down for an insert. Routed a slot for the t-track (McMaster is cheaper than Incra) and put a few coats of poly on the whole thing. The fence is pretty straight forward from the pictures.
I have clamps on the bottom too. I wanted to make it easy to slide the whole auxiliary table in and out. You can see in one of the pictures that the crank used to raise and lower the table would hit the auxiliary table. Hence the need for quick and easy sliding of the auxiliary table.
I also sunk the entire drill press into my work bench so that the foot doesn’t get in the way of the Miter Saw work space.
The whole thing is pretty solid and flat, which isn’t bad for Depot lumber.