|Project by Carey Mitchell||posted 10-31-2016 01:55 AM||850 views||2 times favorited||15 comments|
Another Queen Anne table. I learned a lot making its predecessor, and incorporated some design changes. This one is in maple, which I have learned to love now that I can enhance its muted grain with dyes.
I had a piece of nicely figured maple and used it for the apron, cutting the drawer front for grain continuity. The apron is recessed from the legs all around; I thought this added interest.
It was stained using Transtint brown mahogany, diluted to about 1/3 normal strength; this way I can sneak up on the color I want. I have learned to apply the dye using a cheap airbrush – that way, I can apply more where needed and feather the color. I have even used it to color whitewood on cherry to the point it cannot be distinguished from the good wood.
The finish is a couple of coats of tung oil dried for a week each, followed by 3 sprayed coats of 1/2 satin, 1/2 semi gloss lacquer, polished out with 4000 grit compound.