|Project by rockmolsen||posted 10-30-2016 06:57 PM||1133 views||18 times favorited||9 comments|
This is made with Walnut, Maple and Zebrawood. It seems that this combination of woods always looks good regardless of the project. A homemade cross-cut sled is used to cut the slices. The board is 12” W x 16” L x 1 1/2” H. I made the hand holds on the sides with a rabbiting bit on the router table using stop blocks on either side. Edges are eased over with a 1/8” round-over bit then sanded with a ROS from 60 up to 220. Finished with several coats of mineral oil then a bees wax and mineral oil mix that I melt in a small crockpot. 1 Part bees wax to 4 parts mineral oil. The bees wax helps to seal/fill the pores in both the Walnut and Zebra. Anti-slip rubber feet are added to the bottom. The board was originally going to be 1/2” longer but I dropped it during the sanding process and damaged a corner pretty bad. Back to the tablesaw sled to remove the damaged slice.
I know there are differences of opinion on this topic but …......
I run the end grain boards through my Delta surface planer with every board that I do. If you notice from the 5th photo, I always add a waste strip to each end of the board. This combats any tear-out on the edges of the board. Using a scraper I remove the excess glue after about 2 hrs. Then take very small passes and remove very little material at a time. My cutter heads are also very sharp. To date I have never had an issue with this method.
This was a 2 plus day shop project, Part of Friday evening, most of Saturday and a good part of Sunday. I always let the glue ups sit overnight. Thanks for looking
-- Rick --------The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have.