|Project by Dave Rutan||posted 10-26-2016 01:31 PM||360 views||2 times favorited||4 comments|
This project has been sitting on a shelf, half finished, for some time. I finally got a breather from projects I had to do and decided to finish these up since during the last year I’ve been asked if we have any more coasters. These were actually made as an experiment in inlaying splines in wood to make things a little bit fancier for times when the wood grain is boring.
I began with a piece of pine a little bigger than I needed. I set up a 1/8 inch bit in my router table to cut about 1/4 inch deep.
To create the designs, I basically nailed one corner of the board into my router table, making sure the arc that would be cut would be in ‘the right place’. I was doing this on the fly.
After each pass through the router, I glued in a spline of oak or walnut, let it dry, then planed the spline down to the board. Then I nailed a different corner to the table, and repeated the process. One board I did 3 splines, the other I did 4. (To tell the truth, I don’t remember exactly how I made the 4-spline pattern. It’s possible I had a rectangular board instead of square.)
After the splines were all cut, glued and planed, I took a puzzle piece template (see past project with this here [link]) and oriented the pattern to center the design. I cut them out on the band saw, sanded, rounded the upper edges, and finished them with boiled linseed oil.
My grooves were not all perfect, nor my splines. While these are good enough for around the house, they could not be given as gifts.
The pictures below pretty much explain the process I described above.
-- Ni faru ion el ligno!