|Project by Builder_Bob||posted 02-02-2010 04:17 AM||1327 views||2 times favorited||8 comments|
Cherry and (painted) poplar. This was my third woodworking project, and the first that wasn’t completely painted. I tried all possible finishing techniques on the top; polyshades oil, water, varnish, stains and dyes. I eventually gave up. I tossed it onto the scrap heap and made another top from walnut. The walnut just got a few coats of water based poly and looked great.
A few weeks later, I hauled this top out of the trash and sanded everything off. I used water based dye and polyurethane to bring the poor battered thing to the condition you see here. My wife figures it’s the best looking piece I ever made. Go figure.
Part of the top flips open on barrel hinges to reveal the secret storage compartment for remotes, coasters, toothpicks, salt, pepper, napkins and other unsightly stuff.
-- "The unexpected, when it happens, generally happens when you least expect it."