|Project by BreakingBoardom||posted 02-01-2010 09:05 PM||2724 views||1 time favorited||7 comments|
So, this was my first real project. I built my workbench prior to this but didn’t have to do any sanding or staining or anything complex. I learned a lot from building this and patience was probably the first thing I learned. I also may do things a little differently when it comes to finishing my ext project. As for construction, it’s all made from pine. It’s stained with a Red Oak stain and finished of with some polyurethane. The bottom fabric shelf my wife sewed some Winnie The Pooh material up and added some snap buttons to eat for easy removal for washing. It is hung on some 3’4” square stock after I rounded the corners by running it through the router. The side rails are all joined with dowels and the legs were mortise and tenon joints. The plywood bottom sits on inner rails that were screwed to the rails and the headboard and footboard. Overall I think it turned out pretty good and my wife is happy so that’s what counts. I made itfairly tall since I’m 6’4” and my wife is 6’2” and we didn’t want to have to bend really far. I think the rails for the shelf below help stabilize it nicely though so iit’s pretty sturdy. Also, the slat spacing complis with CPSC standards and the design is something I drew up after looking at some bassinets with my wife. The actual pad that goes into this is a 18”x36” cradle pad. My wife and I being above average in height wanted to make it a little larger to accomodate a possibly larger child. Just in case. lol. That’s about it. Any other questions, feel free to ask. And I also have a link to more pics if interested. Thanks!
-- Matt - http://breakingboardom.wordpress.com/