|Project by ajosephg||posted 01-30-2010 01:48 AM||11364 views||12 times favorited||7 comments|
Here is my design of the Joker game that is popular around here. This version has individual boards to match the number of players, in this case up to six. What I set out to do was to make the pivots coaxial with the end marble hole so that the hole to hole spacing is equal no matter how many boards are connected. This turned out harder to do than expected. I was happily constructing away using 1/2 inch plywood and was amost done when I dropped one of the boards and it happened to hit on the end with the pivot – and a piece broke out.
Back to the drawing board. I thought that maybe solid wood would be stronger so I milled some oak down to a 1/2 inch thick. Same story – I dropped one and it also broke.
Next I tried the final design and it is robust enough to withstand drops to a concrete floor. As can be seen, I put a 3/4 inch dowel at the pivot point which adequately supports the thin end grain.
The carrying case allows for compact storage of the boards as well as the marbles and playing cards. (One deck of cards per player is required.) I sprayed the inside of the box with red flock from Rockler.
This was a learning experience. I had never performed pattern routing before – and it was an expensive learning curve as I ended up buying 2 routers, new router table, a stand for the router table, a dovetail jig, and that led to an assembly table – by the time it was done I think it cost me a $1000, LOL. Oh, I also built a drilling jig to drill the marble holes using a Rockler marble drilling bit. If I build anymore of these I am going to use a 1/2 inch round router bit, as the marble bit is slow going because it plugs up with wood chips, and doesn’t make a real smooth hole, especially if you raise the grain.