|Project by HokieKen||posted 10-13-2016 11:36 AM||562 views||2 times favorited||8 comments|
When I made the marking set for terryR in the Layout & Marking Tool Swap we just wrapped up, I knew I was going to make another set for myself using some Cocobolo I had squirreled away just for that purpose. So, I ground myself a knife blade, scratch awl and birdcage awl when I made his.
The geometries of the the tools I made Terry were almost perfectly to my liking so I pretty much tried to replicate them for my own set. I did change the geometry of the marking knife a little so I could use a shorter ferrule and shortened up the scratch awl a bit to make it closer to the same length as the knife. Other than that, those 2 are pretty much the same as Terry’s set.
The second and third pictures show the knife from different sides. It’s turned down on the lathe then 2 sides were rough-shaped with a sanding drum in the drill press and then finish-shaped by hand with rasps and sandpaper.
My birdcage awl came out quite different because the largest Cocobolo blank I had was 1.5” square and I made Terry’s BC awl with a 1-3/4” diameter. I didn’t think it would make a big difference but it does. I like the handle on Terry’s much better. That extra 1/4” on the diameter really makes a difference in the feel and ability to twist the tool to sever the wood fibers. So, I’ll be on the lookout for a bigger Cocobolo blank to re-make the handle for the BC awl.
The ferrules on all 3 tools started out as caps for gas line compression fittings. I usually like steel ferrules but I do like the look of brass on Cocobolo. I slotted the one for the knife to accept the blade and drilled the others to fit the shanks. This is the first time I’ve slotted a ferrule and tenon to accept a knife blade instead of just using a slotted dowel (like I did on Terry’s). Not sure it looks any better or is any more stable but at least I know how to do it now. The last pic shows how the blade was ground and how the ferrule and tenon were slotted.
This was my first experience with Cocobolo and it was a pleasure to turn. It’s gorgeous wood and finishes to an extremely smooth texture. Finish was just several coats of BLO (as oily as the wood is naturally, I was surprised at how it soaked up so much BLO but I just kept coating until it quit “drinking”) and a coat of paste wax. The BC awl is obviously not finished as well as the other two because, like I said, as soon as I find a suitable Cocobolo blank, I’m going to replace it.
Thanks for looking. As always, comments, questions and criticisms are welcome!
-- Kenny, SW VA, Go Hokies!!!