|Project by kimball||posted 01-27-2010 10:42 PM||1179 views||0 times favorited||4 comments|
The old fireplace was UGLY, UGLY, UGLY! It had to go. The hearth stuck out more than 2’ on both sides and the tile was the cheapest the builder could find.
I cut the hearth down to 1’ (dust everywhere) and covered it w/ 3/4” x 4” green granite back and side splashes that I purchased from a Habitat restore. Then I surrounded the fireplace w/ green (yes they are green) 4 1/4” tiles, a QS white oak border and some more side splashes.
The bookcases and mantle are QS white oak. I stained everything with a “Mission Oak ” gel stain from Rockler and finished it w/ 4 coats of a 50/50 (polyurethane/ mineral spirits) mix of wipe on poly.
The hardware came from Rockler but I didn’t like the hinges. I replaced them with hinges an screws from D. Lawless hardware (best buys on the internet) in Illinois.
The door glass is textured and came from old cabinet doors purchased from the Habitat restore (we bought all they had and have enough to change out the glass in the kitchen cabinets) for a fraction of what it would have cost from a glass store and I kept the Euro style hinges.
All in all, we are happy w/ the outcome and we kept the cost down to a minimum by going green when we could.