|Project by HokieKen||posted 10-07-2016 08:31 PM||582 views||2 times favorited||5 comments|
This is a set of marking tools I made for TerryR in the Layout and Marking Tool Swap we just completed.
I decided to experiment with laminating some turning blanks so I got out some Walnut and Cherry and glued it up a few different ways. The scratch awl was a Celtic Knot lamination I had made for a screwdriver that ended up being turned down due to some tearout when I was shaping it. I thought it came out looking nice so I used it for Terry’s awl.
I also decided it’s high time I made myself a marking gauge. After many failed prototypes, I finally had a method and design I liked. The last pic is the gauge I sent Terry made from Birdseye Maple (thanks to ComboProf who swapped some wood with me ‘cause I couldn’t find any BEM locally) and Jatoba. My wood “guy” gave me a piece of Jatoba for this project at no charge in exchange for one of the gauges. So, I ended up batching them out when I made them. One for Terry, one for me and one for Randy at Hill City Hardwoods.
The blade on the knife and the shafts for the awls were all ground from M2 HSS blanks. I batched those as well so I can make myself a new marking set when time permits.
We had a great time in the swap and hopefully anyone who hasn’t participated in the past will join us for great fun and great learning in future ones!
-- Kenny, SW VA, Go Hokies!!!