|Project by ErikF||posted 10-07-2016 12:52 PM||1197 views||7 times favorited||8 comments|
Here is the marking gauge I built for the recently completed tool swap.
It has a micro adjust feature that allows the user to make fine adjustments to the cutter depth by turning the knurled portion of the gauge.
Here is a video of the gauge.
I first started working on the design for this gauge in 2014 and it took months to nail down a design that worked. It looks similar to the Tite-Mark but the way it works is much different. Instead of opposing threads- this style gauge uses a collar assembly and barrel to make adjustments.
To keep the parts from rotating around the shaft there is a slot machined into the shaft which acts as a guide for the thumb screws. Each screw has it’s tip machined to slide in the shaft groove.
Cutter is O1
Shaft is stainless steel. I also make some of them with titanium shafts and beryllium copper.
Everything else is brass.
Thumb screw is hand engraved by a friend of mine.
Here is a new gauge I finished yesterday. The 1/4” titanium shaft weighs half an ounce so the gauge always feels perfectly balanced…the flat side prevents it from rolling and also allows you to strike a line on 1/8” thick material while leaving it on the bench for support.
Here is the first completed gauge based of my first design. Not pretty but it was a fun build.
-- Power to the people.