|Project by SPalm||posted 01-26-2010 09:06 PM||9201 views||40 times favorited||35 comments|
I hate my brain sometimes. A couple of months ago I started building a Lingerie Chest. I bought some cherry and planed it down. It was cheap cherry from the ‘shorts’ pile. It was too wide for my jointer so I had to play with jointing wide boards. It did not have the best grain. (i.e. SWMBO did not like it), so that got me all involved in veneer which led to a vacuum pump and bag press and then a vacuum controller and then a veneer press. Then came the holidays and gifts. That led me to making cheese slicers. Then I noticed the concept of an endgrain inlay cutter, and I had to make one. Then I had to make something to use inlay from the cutter. Then I saw the posts on LJs of V-Drum sanders and I had to make one. Who knows what my brain will want to do this weekend. I need to get back to that chest I suppose.
Does anyone else go through life like this?
I picked up (I mean ordered) a V-Drum sander kit at the wood show. It consists of the Velcro drum, some paper, bearings, and a link belt. (Link belts are cool, first time user.) I found a 1/3 hp motor on my once-used sewer drain auger and stole it. It came with a cord mounted GFI and an attached switch box with FOR, OFF, and REV. Sweet. I hope the sewer stays clean.
I built a box out of 3/4 MDF, with a slant mount board inside for dust collection. I am just shimming the top height for now as I see this as critical to the operation. I still need to drill a hole for the vacuum. I am debating having it on the side or the back.
The top was the trickier part. I glued a sheet of Formica to 1/2 inch MDF with wood glue in my vacuum press. Slick. No smell of contact cement, and I know it is flat. After drying I rough cut the hole with a jigsaw. I double sticky taped some scraps to the top exactly where I wanted the sides of the hole, and used a chamfer bit with a bearing that rode on the scrap in my router table to cause the nice clean and beveled edges. This was slick. Then added a second layer of MDF to the top in the vacuum bag, and finally added the cherry edge banding. I also cut a stepped channel for belt clearance. A piano hinge holds the top in place.
I really like it, but I have not used it that much. I do already have a Performax drum sander which I just love, but I see this more as an abrasive jointer. I plan to add vertical guides for edge sanding. I guess I really see this build as a prototype and plan to incorporate it into a larger top after I get used to it and what it can do.
-- -- I'm no rocket surgeon