|Project by GnarlyErik||posted 09-23-2016 11:39 PM||482 views||0 times favorited||4 comments|
Here are a few samples of an inlay/intarsia kick I’ve been on this summer. I had an upper respiratory infection for several weeks which kept me partially confined to my house. I did manage some time in my little workshop each morning before it got too hot in the day. These are the results of the non-strenuous and ‘benign’ work I was able to do.
Most of these items were intended as key fobs which I sent out as gifts to various family members and friends. They were well received, and one recipient – a woman – thought it would be pretty neat if I would make some earrings using this method. Because these had to be so much smaller, the making was very fussy, and I kept dropping pieces and parts. But in the end they turned out OK (the last picture).
All these fobs and earrings are either cherry, mahogany or walnut combined with white ash, and finished with high-gloss varnish. When cutting the designs you end up with both ‘positive’ and ‘negative’ matching parts with this method of cutting, so you will have both light on dark and dark on light matching designs – see the frogs in the first picture. The reason there are two pairs of earrings is because I had to cut the designs times two for a matching pair, in order to end up with a dark on light pair and a light on dark pair. The clips are silver coated wire.
Fussy, but fun! Those marquetry folks certainly have my respect!
-- "Never let your dogma get run over by your karma!"