|Project by Woodwrecker||posted 09-18-2016 11:44 PM||2490 views||6 times favorited||23 comments|
I set out to build a big, flat, heavy, square, strong Router Table, and it came out great.
I didn’t want any bells or whistles or stupid attachments that I’d never use, and I couldn’t be happier with this result.
It started out with a very large amount of leftover lumber I had stored in the shop for a long time.
I wanted to make this one with all the changes I found necessary over an old one I had. Like the height on this one is almost 41 inches, because the old one was hard to bend down to use. And I can now see the bit height adjustments better, along with being able to remove the router easier when I want to.
The top is pretty massive at 24” X 48” and 1 3/4” thick solid maple.
The split fence runs the entire width and is 8” high.
The whole thing weighs approximately 200 to 250 pounds.
The fence took the longest to build because I needed it to be perfectly square and straight, and I am happy to report that it is.
The fence is made from 7/8 maple, and before anyone comments on wood movement, I’d like to say that I’ve been working with hard maple for a very long time and I’m confident that this massive fence will remain true and square.
I loosely followed a plan published by Rob Brown from Canadian Woodworking on the fence.
Routing through the 1 3/4” solid maple top to install the insert plate was hard as hell, but it came out great.
I may add a few drawers down the road, and the blue paint matches all the rest of my shop made equipment.
But for now, I’m very happy with how it turned out and I expect to get a lot of use from it.
It takes up a lot of real-estate in my shop. but I think it’ll be worth it.
I took a bunch of process pictures and will add some below.
I hope you like it.
Thanks for looking and have a great day.
It all starts with a BIG flat, square top.
And LOTS of lumber.
The legs are all 2×6 glued, screwed, and nailed lamentations.
Routing out the insert plate hole through that THICK maple top was quite a chore…
Progress being made slow but sure.
Working on getting all the base components together and starting assembly.
The legs are a little over-built, but better too strong then not strong enough.
(The guy in the picture is my electrician friend Donnie who is adding a bunch of electrical capacity to my shop…thank you Donnie)
All the base lumber was 2×12 and 2×10 well seasoned.
I took my time on the fence because I wanted it perfectly straight and square, along with it being extra large.
The fence was a large base, rabbeted sub-face, tall split face, with blocking and glued and screwed.
When I finally had all the parts cut, holes drilled, glue points marked, and a clear space to work, I got out EVERY small clamp I could find…haha
I was VERY happy when I took the fence out of the clamps and after checking it with every measuring device I own, it was as straight and square as I could have hoped for.
I won’t lie and say there wasn’t a little bit of luck involved with that job…
Everything started to come together.
Add a paint job to match the rest of my shop made machines, and presto, another member of the shop family.
(Maybe some drawers down the road for bits and wrenches and stuff, but we’ll see.)
-- Eric, central Florida / Utor praemia operibus duris