|Project by paxorion||posted 09-18-2016 01:18 AM||426 views||3 times favorited||4 comments|
So when are you going to get that wall done?—Wife
It’s been over a year since my first wall cabinet project, but I finally got to that next wall in the basement. Had a few buddies come over today to help me with the install. This project was “double the size”, since I had to make 4 cabinets instead of 2. Learning from my lessons of last time, I did a few things differently:
- The worst part of the last project was the painting. After contemplating buying tinted lacquer to speed up the process, I decided to “use what I have” in terms of paint.
- My wife convinced me to use melamine for the cabinet boxes. She grew up overseas and melamine was the staple for cabinet boxes. I was totally on-board thanks to (a) the lower price compared to plywood and (b) not having to finish the inside. So the boxes were made of 3/4” melamine particleboard with a full thickness back. This made the boxes about twice as heavy.
- Cabinet boxes were built similarly to last time. However instead of dados for the joinery, I cut rabbets for all the joinery and reinforced them with Spax MDF screws.
- The cabinet doors and end-panel were rail and stile with stub tenons. All made of poplar and birch plywood for the panels.
- The doors received 2 coats of Zinsser 123 primer followed by white latex paint and then 1 coat of Rustoleum Ultimate Polyurethane. I sprayed all of the finish with my HF HVLP.