|Project by Dan Wolfgang||posted 09-15-2016 01:14 AM||1073 views||12 times favorited||9 comments|
I wanted to build a tool caddy to help keep some often-used tools together. I saw the caddy in the New Traditional Woodworker but didn’t like that everything could bang around—that’s a sure way to dull a chisel blade and make marks on the caddy with the grease pencils. So, I thought that a vertical tool caddy with individual tool compartments could solve all of that. The problem that a vertical caddy brings is that it could be knocked over because it’s so tall. I worked around that by using some beefy 6/4” cherry, which adds a lot of mass to make it stable.
At this point I’m still very green at this whole woodworking thing, so I knew I’d make plenty of mistakes but it’s still completely functional. Learning to use my hand tools just takes time and practice. I have a number of gaps around the joints and I didn’t plane some of the faces to tight enough tolerance for the kind of tight fit I’d really like to see. But, from a few feet away I think it looks good. The close-up pictures make it easy to see some of the mistakes. The differences in the round holes (1/2” and 3/8”) is that the larger was cut with a quality Williams auger and the smaller was cut with a cheap Irwin auger. I know they say it’s a poor craftsman who blames his tools, but the amount of frustration cheap tools causes me is significant!
I think the biggest thing I’d do differently is fitting and assembly. I put together the three middle parts (tool board/handle/tool board) and separately I made a four sided box, then fit them together. Getting the box and center to fit well proved a significant challenge. I think I should have instead put together the same-direction wood (outside/tool board/handle/tool board/outside) and then fit the end caps on it.