|Project by Porchfish||posted 09-14-2016 06:37 PM||540 views||0 times favorited||11 comments|
OK well I had this nice green 14 1/2” x 9” Cherry blank with several branch knot defects (hollow and punky) in the top 3” of the blank. I was determined to get a natural edge bowl about 3/8” thick from this piece. Well the top 3” blew off in early shaping and the pieces were punky, smashed and spread all over the floor. After nursing a bruised left hand, I was disappointed enough to throw the damned thing in the burn bucket, but then I am stubborn so I decided to convert this rat into a natural topped vessel, keeping in mind that most barks are not of a uniform thickness and cambium layers are equally likely to vary in thickness as you all have discovered yourselves. But of course Mr. persistent decided to charge onward… I began to be intrigued with what I was seeing emerge. I turned the blank down shaping the outside to a much smaller size of 13 1/4” x 7” . Things looked gone to me till I heard the tonal change of variance in thickness we are all familiar with… then poof…. one side of the bark top was holding together nicely at just a mm or so less than 3/8” while the other side of the bark edge just …. well you can see by the hole what I had. I looked around for another large blank to start over and instead, got out my 1 1/2” #3 gouge and attacked the other blank knocking off chunks of Cherry bark….to make the story as short as possible I cut the pieces to shape and used nylon screen tapped under the hole as a support base and CA glue to hold the puzzle pieces together in place. once set with accelerator, I took the thing off the chuck and poured an epoxy layer over the screen inside (blind work like this requires rubber gloves and a disregard for your hands.the epoxy set up nicely and I rechecked the vessel and re turned the inside with the invisible epoxy patch. I noticed although the bark fit was acceptable, gaps were visible. I crushed some driveway aggregate stones (topaz colored quartzite) and worked the shards into the gaps and cemented them with CA gel type and used accelerator. To cover the damage around the rim, more stones were set in a 1/2” circle around the 4” opening using CA and accelerator again. I finished it yesterday and painted the interior with a black enamel…it is what it is Thanks for looking don s.
-- The pig caught under the fence is always the one doing all the squealing !