|Project by HickWillis||posted 09-14-2016 03:13 PM||3569 views||5 times favorited||28 comments|
About a month ago I decided it was time for a proper workbench. I was tired of making due with what I had (which was a rickety old workbench).
I used Fir for the wood. I was able to get 6 boards of 2×10x12 for about $75 so the wood was cheap. I ripped the boards in half and laminated them together for the top. After planing and flattening it is around 4.5” thick. The same process was used for the legs and strechers. It is HEAVY! After I had it all together, I put all my weight into it and wasn’t able to move it…it is very solid.
The two hardest parts of building this were cutting the through mortises for the legs and flipping it over (built it upside down). It was the first time I ever cut through mortises and I definitely learned a lot about cutting them. I used a forstner bit to hog out most of the material (going half way, flipping over and going through the rest of the way). I then used a chisel and mallet to clean it up. My first one took me about 3 hours and I was able to do the following 3 in less than 2 hours.
I made one row of dog holes using a forstner bit to get it started and finished with a spade bit. I might add another row of them later on, but this will do for now.
I flattened the top by hand using a smoothing plane, jack plane and jointer plane.
I still need to add wood to the vise, but that won’t take long.
Overall, this was a great learning experience. I had a lot of trial and error, mistakes and a couple cut fingers (nothing more than surface cuts). I know I will build another workbench in the future and I look forward to it knowing what I know now. It was also a lot of fun!