|Project by DannyBoy||posted 01-19-2010 07:30 AM||2387 views||15 times favorited||12 comments|
I made these for Christmas presents this year. I just got done delivering the last of them so I figured I’d finally put the pics up.
These are based off of a design that I have seen in several different magazines. I modified it quite a bit to add some individuality to the design (and I like the longer curves a bit better). They are made of cedar that I cut from construction grade 2×6s. As bad as that sounds, it came out really well. I doubt you can see it in the photos, but they ended up with some great figures in the slats.
I’d post up some dimensions but I can’t remember them off the top of my head and my notes are in the shop. I happen to have the PW article with me, though. It shows the slats at 3” (I know I used 2 1/2”) with 1/8” between (I used a 1/2” spacer). The length of the back (PW) is 40 7/8” and the seat is 33 1/2”. My back and seat are a little different. I think more along the lines of 40” and 36”.
The curves are the hardest. I used the router template method to make the long curves. This was actually my first attempt at printing off a template (thank you Kinkos/FedEx plotter machine) and using it as a guide. I just glued it to some scrap 3/4” material (MDF I had laying around) and cut it on the bandsaw then sanded the curve out a bit more. After that, I attached the template to the piece, cut out the rough design with the bandsaw, and then routed out the final shape with a guide bushing. Since the material was 1 1/2” thick, I had to do a little over half of it with a bushing on the top of the bit and then flip the whole thing over (remove the template) and use another bit with the bushing on the bottom.
Assembly at first was problematic. One of them had to be taken apart (thank God I used screws) and re-assembled because I was off at the bottom of the legs by about a half inch. Eventually, I clamped a board to the end of my tablesaw/assembly table and aligned the legs using that as a foot. This worked well. For the spacing, I cut a scrap piece to 1/2” wide and stuck that between each slat as I progressed towards the center. Once you get the first one square and even, the rest fall into place (although, I double checked as I went).
At the joining point for the back and the seat there weren’t really any problems. I used SketchUp to get a general idea of where the to supports should be. Then, with the first one I built I made a couple of minor adjustments to make it comfortable. As far as the “soft” cedar at that joint, I had no problems. When you first assemble it in “seat mode”, it will give a slight amount where the edges of the boards meet. However, cedar gets really hard when it compresses and you don’t have any more worries after it does. All you end up with are a couple of small notches that actually help guide where the seat comes together.
This was a fun project and I think I’ll make a few more to sell. Everyone that I have given them to (nine in all) has told me that they are uncommonly comfortable. My mom got one and instantly told me she was taking it to work to take orders for me. Thanks, mom!
-- He said wood...http://hickbyassociation.blogspot.com/