|Project by MarkTheFiddler||posted 09-12-2016 02:03 AM||453 views||0 times favorited||11 comments|
It’s been a while since I posted anything on Lumberjocks. Life just gets that way sometimes. I wish I had more time. But I don’t so here is my absentee project.
Martha found a cheap plastic/tubular aluminum toddler bed by the side of the road and threw it in the van. When I got home. I see the wretched thing in the garage. Martha asks me to reinforce it for one of her patients.
Her patient is beautiful tiny girl who has defied all of the doctors predictions and lived. She just recently had surgery to close the hole in her throat and is now learning to speak. She can also go outside and play with her older brother and sister. Her life is being filled with the joy every child of 3 should have. She is no longer trapped.
Even though she is partially deaf her ability to speak is catching up very quickly to other children her age. The first words Martha heard out the little one’s mouth is “Ata… Ata!!” That’s short for Martha. You might understand why my wife has a real connection with this young girl.
Back to the bed… I saw that cheap piece of furniture and thought of the little girl. I said “I’ll figure something out.”
Martha went to the store and when she returned, I had already cut all the pieces to the bed. The next week it was assembled and sanded, today it was primed and ready to go. The little angel’s Father heard that I was making the bed and wants to paint it. It sounds good to me.
To the father I say good on you. Do something wonderful with the paint. Put your touch on it. He’ll have the bed tomorrow.
Again we go back to the bed with fewer detours.
The Wood: Have you ever gone to Lowes and seen that pile of culled lumber for sale…cheap…. Well I needed some 1X4s. I walked straight over to that pile and saw about 10 of them along with a bunch of 1X6s and 2X4s for $45.00. Heck, some of it was split, some warped, some live edge but I didn’t care. The wood I need was going to cost $35 and this stuff was 10 feet long. I made it work. This is the 4th project out of that wood.
The construction: The head board and foot board are a 3 layer wood sandwich. Each leg interlocks with the top rails. The rails fit into slots in the foot and head boards. Where they meet in the corners is mitered. I reinforced the bed with oak corner blocks and a spanner. There is no wiggle there.
The guard rails – I don’t like. They were not my after thought. They are my wife’s requirement. Late requirements throw a wrench into the works every time. I hope the young princess doesn’t need them and her papa removes the 3 inconspicuous screws and tosses them.
All the curves were shaped by my spindle sander because I just felt like using it. ;)
The mattress base is more of that wood. Normally you wouldn’t use bare wood under a mattress but she is such a tiny thing that she’ll never compress the mattress enough to know. I hope it works fine. I’m a little nervous about that.
A shout-out to Skip!! he came over and hung with me a bit with his sleeves rolled up. I was bragging on you all and well I should. I learned all my good stuff from you. The bad stuff is my own. :)
-- Thanks for all the lessons!