|Project by treeman||posted 01-18-2010 06:36 PM||7707 views||53 times favorited||29 comments|
I got a new router (Bosch 1617EVSPK) for Christmas so naturally, I needed to give it a good home.
I decided that a nice new router table would be the way to go. I quickly planned what I wanted and put the necessary parts on order. This included an Incra 25” joinery package, 27” x 43” top, and the Incra version of the Woodpecker PRL-V2 router lift. I ordered before the end of the year to get in on the Incra sale going on at that time. The parts came quickly and I drew up a rough plan in Sketchup.
The base cabinet is 3/4” MDF rabbited and dadoed to build the case. The face frame is made up of maple left over from my workbench project. The face frame was assembled with pocket hole joinery and attached to the cabinet the same way. I built lots of drawers and used a plexiglass door on the router compartment. I built a baffle in the back of the router compartment and drilled holes in the plexiglass door to funnel the airflow along the bottom. I connected the fence dust collection to the compartment dust collection with the connector on the back.
The top is attached to the cabinet with a layer of weatherstripping between the top and cabinet. I did this to both seal the dust collection compartment and to make sure I didn’t pulll the top out of flat when attaching it.
The cabinet finish is the same as I have used on my other shop cabinets (Krylon spray paint) and the face frame is finished with General Finishes gel topcoat. I still need to build router bit holders for the drawers, and tool organizers for the various tools I use at the router table but I am extremely pleased with the results so far.
I want to thank Blake and purplev, because many of the ideas I used was inspired by their router table projects.