|Project by DanielP||posted 09-07-2016 05:47 PM||1077 views||4 times favorited||13 comments|
The lid is actually Amboyna Burl, and also the ends of the smaller box ring holders. The rest is Makamong (Afzelia burl) including the bottoms. 24 hour epoxy was used for adhesive.
The joinery is mortise and tenon on the big and little boxes. Big box bottom is in dado and little box bottoms are press fit in. Rings are fit into black velvet fit which is wrapped around modified Nerf foam bullets. It works quite well and they are removable too.
Project before last I made one of these and it received many positive comments from people at the wedding it was part of. So I made another one, this one a little better, and more being made.
Sanding sealer, four or five coats of poly with mineral spirits and beeswax for the finish.
-- Who are they that judge...