LumberJocks

Refurbished #4 and #5 Stanley Planes

  • Advertise with us
Project by scottwpaul02 posted 01-18-2010 01:18 AM 3734 views 7 times favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Hey all, thought I would share my adventures in hand planes.  I just started woodworking and thought I needed a set.  I went to a few garage sales and picked up a #4 and two #5’s.  Shown is the best #5 and the #4.  I derusted with phosphoric acid on the #4…and due to the gray color aftewards I decided to cold blue it…it looks great, just not traditional.  The #5 I used electrolysis and left the metal natural.  All of the handles were either missing or cracked to the point of trash so I made new handles out of walnut and bloodwood (knobs are from scrap walnut, totes are both woods laminated like plywood to keep it from splitting).  Not only my first rehab projects, but my first turning project (knobs) and carving (totes).  I have put 3 coats of tung oil on the handles. Enjoy, if anyone has any suggestions on em, please let me hear it!





20 comments so far

View docholladay's profile

docholladay

1287 posts in 1812 days


#1 posted 01-18-2010 01:37 AM

Cool planes. Well done. I like the handles and the idea of the lamination is a great idea. I would think that they would be much less likely to break. Did you put new blades and chip breakers in these or just remove the rust from the original ones?

-- Hey, woodworking ain't brain surgery. Just do something and keep trying till you get it. Doc

View a1Jim's profile

a1Jim

112936 posts in 2330 days


#2 posted 01-18-2010 01:39 AM

Wow back from the dead, they look great,

-- http://artisticwoodstudio.com Custom furniture

View scottwpaul02's profile

scottwpaul02

39 posts in 1818 days


#3 posted 01-18-2010 01:50 AM

Doc, I used the old chip breakers and got new blades. I got the idea for laminating the handle from Julian. Thanks for the comment!

View Jimi_C's profile

Jimi_C

507 posts in 1988 days


#4 posted 01-18-2010 01:56 AM

I just won a #8 (type 9 or 10, as far as I can tell from the pictures) for just over $9 that doesn’t look as bad as yours did at the start – save one thing: the lever cap is broken. I didn’t notice it before bidding (the rust on the blade and lever cap camouflaged it), but I’m still pretty happy with the snag – they usually go for $75+ minimum. I’ve got a few more bids out as well, so hopefully I’ll have some restoration blogs of my own in the future :)

-- The difference between being defeated and admitting defeat is what makes all the difference in the world - Upton Sinclair, "The Jungle"

View woodworm's profile

woodworm

14134 posts in 2343 days


#5 posted 01-18-2010 01:58 AM

Great restoration work.

-- masrol, kuala lumpur, MY.

View rayn's profile

rayn

142 posts in 1971 days


#6 posted 01-18-2010 02:21 AM

awesome restoration…I have used electrolysis on some tools with washing soda and it works great

-- Ray,Iowa

View Monty Queen's profile

Monty Queen

1585 posts in 2004 days


#7 posted 01-18-2010 02:24 AM

Awesome work on those planes. I found a plane at a flee market it did not look that bad, i cleaned my up and took on the surface rust and named it “Planie”.

-- Monty Q, Columbia, South Carolina.

View hunter71's profile

hunter71

2159 posts in 1939 days


#8 posted 01-18-2010 02:54 AM

I love restoration! Nice job.

-- A childs smile is payment enough.

View Julian's profile

Julian

880 posts in 2278 days


#9 posted 01-18-2010 03:00 AM

Looking good. I did the same thing with the tote and handle on my #7.

-- Julian, Park Forest, IL

View Les Casteel's profile

Les Casteel

155 posts in 1812 days


#10 posted 01-18-2010 03:10 AM

Great Job! Hey would someone tell me the details about the de-rusting thing with electrolysis?

Thanks!

-- Les, Arkansas, www.woodthatrocks.com

View Dudley's profile

Dudley

742 posts in 2013 days


#11 posted 01-18-2010 03:11 AM

Outstanding. BZ

-- Dudley Young USN Retired. Sebastian, Fl.

View DocK16's profile

DocK16

1140 posts in 2840 days


#12 posted 01-18-2010 03:42 AM

Outstanding, they look brand new, did you replace anything? I’m familiar with the electolysis method, would you mind sharing your phosphoric acid technique

-- Common sense is so rare anymore when you do see it, it looks like pure genius.

View scottwpaul02's profile

scottwpaul02

39 posts in 1818 days


#13 posted 01-18-2010 03:53 AM

DocK, #1: I replaced the blades, totes, and knobs. #2: The phosphoric method is pretty simple. The best read about it, though, is where I read about it. On woodworkers central blog boards Bob Smalser has a few articles that are GREAT for how to’s and why’s on phosphoric acid and cold blueing. Thanks for reading!

View Brian's profile

Brian

31 posts in 2097 days


#14 posted 01-18-2010 04:05 AM

Great Job,I love to see classic tools come back from the dead!

I just finished up a couple myself, a type 5 #5 and a type 4 #7, just waiting for a new Hock blade for my #7!

Love the totes and knobs too.

Mm Snausages!

-- Brian, Jericho Vermont

View Jeison's profile

Jeison

947 posts in 1860 days


#15 posted 01-18-2010 10:07 AM

wow awesome job

-- - Jei, Rockford IL - When in doubt, spray it with WD-40 and wrap it with duct tape. The details will attend to themselves.

showing 1 through 15 of 20 comments

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase