|Project by AandCstyle||posted 09-07-2016 01:01 AM||893 views||4 times favorited||18 comments|
This is really more of a proof of concept project than a completed project. I used the Rockler shutter templates and hardware, although I was able to find the hinges cheaper on Amazon. I wanted to try this and see if I could do it to my satisfaction. This is the one window completed and there are eleven more to do. There are many small pieces and even more repetitive functions. As an example, there are 36 louvers in this set of shutters. Each louver has to be run by the router bit 4 times to obtain the desired profile, Then there is the sanding which is mostly by hand because of the small size of the louvers and the curved profile. The wood is poplar and it is much easier to work than my usual qswo.
Another challenge is that I really didn’t know how it would all work out until the shutters were complete. I am not able to test fit things together because there are plastic pins that fit very tightly into holes and I tested one and was barely able able to pull it out again. I didn’t want to finish the pieces with the plastic pins in place so it was a bit of an adventure.
Yesterday I finished spraying the third and final coat of Target’s EM6500 on the individual pieces and assembled them. There was a bit of a learning curve with this product, but I am happy with the results. Hopefully, you will be able to see the finish in the third pic well enough to get an idea of how it looks. This morning I applied the hardware-hinges and hidden control arms and hung them in the bathroom window. I had to wait until it got dark this evening to get decent (for me) pix.
You can see in the third pic that the window frame isn’t quite square so the shutters are a bit tighter together at their tops than at the bottoms. I am willing to live with that 1/16” discrepancy.
I have some other projects to keep me occupied, so I think I will try to complete a window or two a month, or so, and will work on the other projects to give myself a break from the boredom of all the repetitive tasks associated with the shutters. It may be a year before this project is truly complete.
All in all, we are quite happy with the look and greatly prefer it to the mini blinds that were there until this morning. :)
Thanks for any questions or comments.