|Project by mtkate||posted 01-17-2010 06:19 PM||1767 views||1 time favorited||10 comments|
It’s about time I posted this. I finished it for an xmas present. My pregnant sis was craving sushi…. and this tray was to help solve the craving. It took me almost a month and a half because of the extra help I got from my dogs.
The middle insert and the legs are leftovers from another cutting board, and I fit maple pieces around it. This was the first project using my mortising machine. It could have been a tighter fit on the ends (you can see some gaps) but it’s stable. I don’t have a jig for small pieces – so I used the bandsaw to size the leg pieces and hand sanded.
I decided to experiment, and rubbed in many coats of medium walnut tinted “danish oil” which is really mostly tung oil. I really liked the effect / enhancement it has on the walnut. Effect on maple is ok.
I admit I had to do this twice. After 3 coats of the oil – I noticed dog hairs. ARGH!!! I had to scrape it all off, sand it down, and start again. This project was the straw that broke the camel’s back regarding rework due to dog hairs… and I have now made myself a good corner in the laundry room where there are no dogs allowed. I also change my shirt before finishing to be sure nothing is sticking and falls off.
After about 2 weeks (around 8 coats) I chose to stop. I wonder how many coats this maple would need to really darken…. It took 2 weeks so that I could let it fully dry between coats.
I finished it with 3 applications of full strength shellac.
The last two pictures are the unfinished product, which I took because I wanted to see before and after for the colored finish.