|Project by scrappy||posted 01-16-2010 07:48 AM||1695 views||1 time favorited||11 comments|
Not sure what kind of wood the shaft is. It came from my step sons tree in his yard. I get it over 2 years ago and it has been sitting in the corner of the garage since. The guy the cane is for is LARGE, so I wanted to make sure it was stong enough for him. I laid it on blocks at each end and stood in the center. Only flexed about 1/2 inch with my 185lbs on it, so it should work.
I dyed the wood with black leather dye. Then sanded lightly through along the grain for highlights.
Finish is LOTS of sanding to 300 grit and several coats of hand wipe poly with sanding between coats. Buffed out after by hand with a piece of scrap fake fur.haha
The top ball is Eucalyptus. I cut the branch on an angle so the core would be top front after turning. It was drying and checking as I was turning it, so kept putting CA glue in the cracks. It helped stop them. After turning I dried it the rest of the way in the microwave. ( I used this method)
For the joint between the top and shaft, I used a hole drill from a door knob install kit. The inside of the hole saw cut a nice 1 1/8 diam stem/tenon on the top of the shaft. I also pluged the center hole with a dowel. Then drilled the 1 1/8 hole in the handle 1 1/4 deep for a good M&T fit. Figured this would be the strongest attachment I could come up with since my lathe is not set up to turn something 38 inch long.
All in all I am very happy with the results. I delived it today and he is very happy also. Put his full weight on it while walking and had no trouble. (he really like the cracks in the top knob. Said it looks like a spider.) haha
Please leave all comments and critiques. Thank you for looking.
-- Scrap Wood's the best...the projects are smaller, and so is the mess!