|Project by rengelking||posted 01-16-2010 01:37 AM||1217 views||0 times favorited||0 comments|
This was a deck that I built for some friends. I had to remove a tree, they had to move their air conditioner, and some gutters, and I had to remove the existing tiny deck. They wanted the deck to be able to support a hot-tub anywhere on it without settling of the deck. They also wanted screws instead of nails, which by the end, there were so many screws in it, it was virtually one solid piece. I created a virtual house so that they could visualize the size, using 3dStudio Max, and put some plants in using a program that I created called MaxScape. I wrote a VB9 program to calculate the best board length and joist spacing to have the least amount of waste, and to calculate the most efficient layout. The 16 foot boards had blue marks on top and sometimes also the bottom, so I had to sort the boards into 3 stacks, ones with no blue, ones with blue on one side or knots on one side, and then ones with blue and/or knots on both sides. I used the marred boards for the support beams.