|Project by OttawaBourbon||posted 08-31-2016 12:15 PM||1193 views||7 times favorited||7 comments|
I found this mallet on LJ (http://lumberjocks.com/projects/74269) and got inspired to give it a go.
My mallet is made of hard maple and cherry and has final dimensions of approx. 11 inches long with the head measuring ~5×2.25×2.25.
Step 1: The Handle
The handle was ripped on the table saw from a piece of hard maple to 1.5×0.75×11inches. Once done, I took out a combination square and started marking it up with a pencil to get the shape I wanted. Once done, it was off to the bandsaw for the cuts. Slots were also cut into the top portion to accommodate two cherry wedges. My kijiji budget-bandsaw doesn’t like cutting straight but with a bit of patience, it turned out decently. In the future, I’d probably cut the slots with a table saw to make sure they came out straighter. I had issues with my wedges (also cut on the bandsaw). Some sanding was done at this point to shape the top of the head.
Step 2: The Head
Two slices of cherry and one of maple (0.75×5.5×2.25) were cut on the table saw using the fence and a sled. The cherry slices were put to the side and I then traced the handle outline in the centre of the maple piece. I then cut the maple into two pieces to fit the handle between them. An arch was also cut across the top of all pieces as well as a slight taper on both faces to give it its shape. After this was done, I glued it all up in two stages. Pro-tip: Take your time banging in the wedges! I was a bit too rough and I broke one and had to scramble to make another while everything was gluing up. Spending more time getting my slots straight would have prevented this. Luckily, it worked out.
Step 3: Pommel and Sanding
I really liked the idea of a pommel at the base and the two-tone in WhoMe’s mallet. So, I glued some 3/8 pieces of cherry to the base of the handle. These were then shaped with the sander along with the rest of the handle and head. Once the sanding was done, a hole was added at the base of the handle using a 5/8 forstner bit to finish the piece. Everything was then finished with two coats of Clapham’s beeswax & linseed oil mix.