|Project by MrFid||posted 08-26-2016 04:17 PM||1076 views||6 times favorited||14 comments|
I finished up this dresser recently for my son. It is 8 drawers of varying sizes, that I based loosely on a dresser that my wife bought. It is approximately 63 inches wide, and the top drawers are about 6 inches deep.
I had fun selected the boards since it was the first project I made with my jointer and planer. I was thus able to choose rough cut lumber and mill it to any size I want. The drawer fronts are maybe about 7/8” thick, and the poplar sides (my secondary wood) are a touch under half an inch thick. This makes for a nice light drawer which looks and feels substantial.
The finish selected was several coats of wipe on polyurethane, topped with a coat of paste wax. The drawer sides did not get paste wax, but were buffed with parrafin wax (cooking wax) to allow them to slide in easily.
Of course, as with any project, there were mistakes and lessons learned. The last picture shows one of them. One corner of the top drawer front was chipped during the work, and the chip was lost. I squared up the corner and glued on a new piece of cherry. It’s not a perfect match, but it’s close enough that from a distance you cannot tell.
One thing that I was careful about was keeping the boards selected for the drawer fronts continuous all the way across the dresser. I also had found some curly cherry and some regular cherry in the same bin at the lumberyard, so I selected the curly cherry for the drawer fronts and used the regular cherry for the top and sides.
Fitting the drawers to their casing was the most time consuming part of the project since I elected not to put drawer fronts onto boxes, which leaves the drawers flush with the casing. I like the look of that better than having an overhanging drawer front, and allows the inside of the drawers to be bigger.
Anyway, thanks for looking and reading. I would gladly accept comments, criticisms, or questions.
-- Bailey F - Eastern Mass.