|Project by OutPutter||posted 01-13-2010 07:23 PM||1364 views||1 time favorited||6 comments|
I made this little box to test my new WoodRat back when I first got it. It takes a little practice to make really tight dovetails with a WoodRat. The wood is from hurricane Ike. Sycamore for the top and bottom and something like pecan I think for the sides. I collected wood from the side of the road before the trash collectors came. I split the logs in a quarter sawn fashion and jointed one edge of four pieces before glueing up the top and bottom. Then I used my jointer to flatten one side of each. Then I very carefully ran them over the jointer repeatedly to make them flat and parallel. Not easy but, if you are careful, you can do it. I wouldn’t run something that small through a planer because of kickback risks. Anyway, I rounded over the corners on the top and bottom as well as the sides with my Ridgid oscillating belt sander and my random orbital sander. I think they compliment each other well. The hinges are set into the sides and flat against the top. I can’t tell you how much trouble I have with this method. If you don’t get the side depth just right, the lid is propped open. And, hitting just the right spot on the lid for the hinges is way harder than it looks. I still don’t have a sure fire way for either one of these tasks. I’m experimenting with a story stick unique to each box but I haven’t worked out the details yet.