|Project by splintergroup||posted 08-24-2016 03:10 PM||1398 views||21 times favorited||16 comments|
I’ve been ‘sitting’ on these for a year now due to a silly mistake!
These are about 16”x 10”, major woods are Walnut and Cherry, the white wood is Maple. Finished with mineral oil.
The construction is straight forward. Basically remove the wood along an arc with a router bit, then replace it with thin strips equal in thickness to the bit. This allows all the lines to remain continuous after multiple cuts. This is a fairly well established method, here is a short FWW video of the process (don’t watch if you get vertigo!).
I used the table saw to make undercuts for lifting with the same method for making cove moulding. This was done with the boards still rectangular, the oval shape was done later. Even with a FTG blade, there is a lot of sanding involved to clean these up (especially with the end grain).
My big mistake was to leave the boards out in the (hot) sun so the UV rays would redden the Cherry. This caused a lot of stress on the wood from the heat, making some of the joints split near the edges. I could hear them cracking as soon as I brought them inside.
I decided to set them aside until I decide what to do about it (aside from burning!). The cracks have not spread and are not very visible, so I decided I’d just sell them as ‘seconds’ to recover the materials cost.
Thanks for looking!