|Project by paxorion||posted 08-23-2016 01:14 AM||1164 views||5 times favorited||6 comments|
One day, I opened the trunk of my car and got sick of the amount of thin and short poplar and cherry (1/2” x 2.5” x 24”) taking up space. All left over from various projects from the last few months that I wasn’t motivated to move. So I asked my wife a question about a project idea. The conversation started like this:
Me: “Hey Honey, I have all these short pieces of left over wood. What do you think of me making a bunch of wooden swords?” Wife: “Well if you do, I need 3 of them for birthday presents”
I wanted to improve on the design of my last wooden sword and decided to make the hilt and pommel a different piece. After a night of experimenting on the table saw and bandsaw, I was able to assemble a prototype. The blades were made of a mix of poplar and cherry, whereas the hilt and pommel are cherry. Happy with my prototype, I got to work finishing the rest of them.
This was an interesting project, where a production-ish workflow helped. At first I was shaping the blade bevel with a block plane, but after deciding it was a demotivator, I opted to buy a 22.5” chamfer bit and made short work of it. After being left with a “why didn’t I do this sooner!” feeling, I got to work assembling all of the swords. All of them are sanded only with 60 grit paper, as I plan on leaving them unfinished. In the end, I made a total of 11 swords (2 were gifted before the last picture). I tried wrapping a few with black electrical tape and am very happy with the look in imparts.
And so, there will be many happy little boys and angry moms that have me to thank/blame.