|Project by Ryan Brown||posted 1558 days ago||1366 views||0 times favorited||3 comments|
First off, my picture taking abilities need some work…
I’ve been turning pens lately and I made this one for my boss. We went to the Woodcraft website together and he picked what he wanted.
The pen kit is of good quality, with a threaded plastic bushing inside of the cap. This makes taking the cap off and on very smooth. The blank itself extremely hard. I basically could turn it down for a few minutes, and then had to sharpen my tools. The bulk of the material was removed with a roughing gouge, and I used a skew chisel to get it smooth. This took approximately 2 hours!
Sanding and polishing was next. I started all the way down at 150 grit to get the rest of the tool marks, and went to 600 grit using wet sandpaper. From there I wet polished the pen with the Micro Mesh 4x3 pads from Rockler. I would hold the pads so that a slurry would form with the removed material and the water. Because this material is so hard, it took almost another 3 hours to get all of the lines out and polished to a smooth finish. I then applied a coat of Renaissance Wax and buffed it. Overall, I’m pleased with how it turned out.
One thing I will say is, I don’t think I’m going to turn any more pens from this material. I probably have nearly 6 hours on this pen with all of the other work that goes into it.
I happened to purchase two of these kits and it is a good thing I did. The electroplate finish on one of the pens did not look right – it looked like part of it had some oil on it, and the finish did not adhere. Woodcraft gladly took the kit back, no questions asked.
I have a few more pens that I’d like to show off, and when I have the time and/or motivation I will post them as well.
-- If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem. Roanoke, VA