|Project by bbasiaga||posted 08-17-2016 02:12 AM||603 views||1 time favorited||2 comments|
This is the first piece in a set of bedroom furniture I plan to build, to include two end tables and a dresser. I chose to do this as the first piece because it is the most functional improvement over what we have. Our current TV stand is a store bought model, and is set lower. The cable box sits below the level of the bed, so when trying to turn it on or change channels you have to crane up the remote and hold it at just the right angle to get it to work. (I know…first world problems). So when I set out to design this I made it so the main table is the same height as the top of the bed. The cable box and DVD player sit on that, and the hutch holds the TV. The shelf below holds a Playstation (which works on bluetooth so doesn’t need line of sight). The bottom shelf is tall and deep enough to hold most hard back books and a standard magazine. Soon it will be populated by my collection of woodworking magazines.
That’s one thing you get with building your own furniture – the exact functionality you want.
Along with being the first piece of a set, this project contained a number of other firsts. Since I’m relatively new at this, most of my projects do. This one had:
- First time with mortise and tenon construction. I hand chopped the mortises and cut the tenons on my table saw and band saw.
- First time working with hard maple
- First time working with GF water based top coat
- First time spraying a finish (using an Earlex 5500, which I reviewed here)
As for construction details, the main body is held together with mortise and tenons. The whole frame and top are solid maple. I made the shelves out of maple plywood so I didn’t have to worry about expansion there. The top is held on by z clips.
The hutch is made from hardwood sides, and a piece of plywood rabbeted in. The plywood edge is veneered with solid maple. I can tell that I’m going to need to make a center support for it, as there is some sag from the TV. Either my TV is heavier than I thought, the plywood not as strong as I looked up, or some combination of both. No big deal, I can easily add it to the bottom side and it will be mostly hidden.
You can see in the pictures, the hutch is held on by only two dowels in to corresponding holes. Just enough hold to keep in in place, but no cross grain joint to worry about. \
The finish is three coats of Seal Coat dewaxed shellac to give it a little color, and the three coats of GF High Performance clear topcoat in satin.
It looks pretty good in there, and has met the objective of raising up the TV, and helping the remote to work without having to be a contortionist. So far, very happy. Can’t wait to see what it looks like next to the rest of the pieces. Stay tuned, they’ll show up here eventually.
-- Part of engineering is to know when to put your calculator down and pick up your tools.