|Project by splintergroup||posted 08-15-2016 03:53 PM||1151 views||8 times favorited||16 comments|
Ok, this turned out to be a weird project.
Chair side table, 16”w x 22”d x 24”h (the top is 30”x 20”), White Oak, fumed/natural Danish oil/poly top coat. The top and side panels are curly Oak.
The wife wanted a bigger table between our two chairs (so we could pile on more ‘stuff’ 8^). Dimensions were based on what room there was so beyond that, I had complete freedom in design (except it had to match the finish of the rest of the room, needed a recess for a power strip, etc… 8^).
I scrounged through my collection of odd-bits and templates and decided on an A&C/Mission style base, but the top was screaming “bread-board ends” as a way to use up some extra Ebony parts I had. Kind of a mish-mash of styles, even the top is oriented counter to traditional.
Where it gets weird:
Usually when I set off with White Oak that eventually will get fumed, I spend some time creating a cut list so all the parts can come from the same “tree” (to the best I can determine). This final part is important because when fuming, the amount of tannins in the wood determine how fast/much the wood will darken.
Well as it happens I biffed a few parts and needed to grab another board from my stash. I did this without even thinking about the “same tree” philosophy. After putting all the parts into my fuming tent and forgetting to check on them periodically, this came back to bite me since the new board was tannin rich and turned walnut brown. Usually in moments of clarity, I will fume some samples from each board to match up the fuming times. Foregoing that, I’ll peek into the process every few hours and pull parts that have the desired color. With these I let them go a full 16 hours without so much as a peek.
At least the darker wood ended up on complementary parts! (Symmetry is a nice aspect when mixing up finish tones!) I’ll probably re-do the cabinet door at some point.
So basically I ended up with the curly Oak having minimal browning, the muttons and door rails/styles being akin to walnut, and everything else being somewhere in-between.
Some construction details:
I always worry about wood movement since our house is heated with wood (very dry air) and cooled with a swamp cooler (can get very humid). The web-based “shrinkulator” claimed I needed to account for up to 1/2” of movement (which seemed rather much), but I allowed for free movement where it counts. The middle platform and the base platform are only attached (glued) at the front, they are supported by unglued splines along the sides and overlap the rear rails with a rabbet to hide the changing gap.
The top has breadboard ends, Greene & Greene style to allow for movement of the center section. The top is secured by “buttons” that allow for expansion into/out-of slots cut into the rails.
The legs are 2” x 2” (with G&G style accents), made from miter locked boards to allow consistent grain patterns on all sides
The door is still awaiting a knob to be installed (actually I haven’t even decided on a style yet).
The back is recessed since SWMBO wanted a place to stash the gaggle of power strips that seem to multiply behind the chairs
I liked how the curly oak turned out. In fact, the entire piece tends to color-shift depending on the viewing angle which also reduces/enhances the contrast between the fuming errors.
Next time I might give it a try with quarter sawn WO for something fancier (but I just saw AandCstyle scooping up the last of it for his next creation 8^)
Comments, criticism, “man walks into a bar” jokes welcome!