|Project by CaptainSkully||posted 01-07-2010 08:28 AM||3619 views||6 times favorited||6 comments|
The morning of New Year’s Eve, I woke up with a strange desire to make a burr puzzle. I knew there were kids coming over New Year’s Day and they’d probably be bored with the adult talk and football, so I thought I’d give them something to drive them crazy.
I downloaded some plans (I used the metric version because I thought it’d be more accurate). I milled the stock a tad oversized, and dadoed my brains out with stops on the miter sled to make everything symmetrical. I was worried about how the pieces would fit together because I didn’t know the solution. I made sure that all of the gaps were wide enough to comfortably fit one piece or two parallel pieces inside, depending on the application.
After a bit of hand sanding, I took the first set inside to look up the solution (did I mention I made six sets of six pieces?). The pieces fit together perfectly. Whew! I proceeded to tung oil the first set so that it would have a chance to soak in (I used mahogany since it practically glows when oiled). I wanted to use a finish that wouldn’t add any thickness to the pieces.
Anyhoo, the puzzle was a huge success. There were definitely more hours spent on solving it than manufacturing it. I’ve got a system down now for sanding the parts, so it wasn’t quite as bad on the second set. I’ve still got lots of friends to irritate when they open the package with the puzzle fully assembled, then proceed to take it apart. It’s maddeningly difficult to put together if you don’t know the solution.
-- You can't control the wind, but you can trim your sails